[OSM-talk] What3words

Iván Sánchez Ortega ivan at sanchezortega.es
Wed Jul 13 10:52:21 UTC 2016

El Miércoles 13. julio 2016 12.37.32 Colin Smale escribió:
> > there is no coordination. The address of one block has no relation to
> > adjacent ones.
>
> Agreed - it's not a coordinate system, it's an addressing system, i.e. a
> way of encapsulating a location in a convenient manifestation.

Systems like What3Pokemon or What3Ikea are, in fact, coordinate systems, even
if your naked eye cannot see the coordination/pattern. It takes just a bit of
non-base-ten modular arithmetic to make your brain not see the pattern.

What3Fucks does display a pattern, because some math bits (amount of
subdivisions vs corpus size) match each other nicely. It's trivial to design a
geodetic grid with a recognizable pattern if one puts their mind to it.

BTW, the problem of calculating adjacent cells in a geodetic grid has been
already researched in the past.

The issue of whether things like W3F or W3P are "convenient" is, as we all can
see from previous discussion, (to be exceedingly polite) very arguable.

--
Iván Sánchez Ortega <ivan at sanchezortega.es> <ivan at geonerd.org>
<ivan at mazemap.no>