[OSM-talk] Automated edits code of conduct

Éric Gillet gill3t.3ric+osm at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 15:19:00 UTC 2016

> Éric Gillet wrote:
> > That would be slightly faster to execute than the first approach I was
> > suggesting, but then how would you prove that you checked every
> > and all features ?
>
> Well, the best way to prove that you checked everything is not to fuck
> things up, which of course you won't, because you've checked everything.
>
> If you fuck things up (for example, by changing name=McDonalds to
> name=McDonald's on an independent restaurant that is actually called
> McDonalds), then by definition you haven't checked sufficiently, have you?

Oh, I thought you talked about checking peripheral data such as the
position of the nodes as mentionned by Frederik Ramm. Of course it should
be the responsibility of the changeset maker to lessen the errors
introduced, just like any mapper really.

However I'd believe that there is (in Europe for the example's sake) a very
low number of restaurant really named McDonalds and not part of the
franchise. So if the changeset correct 300 restaurants but 2 are "damaged"
by the automated edit, would the edit be bad enough to be reverted or not
be done in the first place ?