[OSM-talk] Viewing pre-redaction OSM tiles?

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 09:02:52 UTC 2016

On 15/07/2016, Rory McCann <rory at technomancy.org> wrote:
> On 14/07/16 20:49, MichaƂ Brzozowski wrote:
>> I would swear I saw a page doing exactly that (with a comparison slider).
>> The reason is I suspect that some website uses old cc-by-sa OSM data
>> (due to its nature, with their own updates) without attribution nor
>> with modified map data released.

If you dig through the history of
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Remapping you'll find lots of urls
that showed what impact the data redaction for the license change was
going to have. But probably none of those are still functional.

> I'm not sure, but could you download & use the files from here:
> http://planet.openstreetmap.org/cc-by-sa/ ? Import with osm2pgsql and
> display it yourself with openstreetmap-carto ?

I think that's the best bet at this stage. There a a few websites that
render OSM at differents snapshots in time, but I don't know of any
that have snapshots pre/post odbl.

Contributors have put a lot of effort into making the diff as small as
possible, and even in areas where the loss was significant (parts of
Australia for example), OSM recovered amazingly quickly afterwards.