[OSM-talk] iD news: v1.9.6 released

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 19:42:05 UTC 2016

sent from a phone

> Il giorno 09 giu 2016, alle ore 02:23, Minh Nguyen <minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us> ha scritto:
>
> If I understand correctly, you’re referring to a situation where, for
> instance, Wikipedia editors have opted to discuss both an “administrative
> territorial entity” and its government in the same article, whereas Wikidata
> editors have decided to separate the concepts into two different items

at least the former is very common for cities I believe (didn't conduct a scientific study about it though), I'm not so sure how common the latter is, my impression when I last looked was that many of the socio geographic entities are still missing in wikidata (so rather than using 2 distinct objects there is one which corresponds to a part of the article), their editors seem to have a preference for political administrative entities.

> Wikipedia tends to be proactive about creating separate articles when
> there’s a notable distinction between the various meanings of a name, but
> Wikidata follows suit almost as a rule. So there is a 1:1 correspondence
> between the various meanings of China on the English Wikipedia and the
> various Wikidata items for those meanings. `wikipedia=en:China` maps to
> <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q148>, which is for the People's Republic. If
> the mapper had a different definition of China in mind, both the `wikipedia`
> and `wikidata` tags would reflect that.

clearly the china article in wp/en has a much broader scope than the linked Wikidata item people's republic of china. The latter starts looking at things from 1949, Wikipedia "China" some thousand years earlier.

cheers,
Martin