[OSM-talk] iD news: v1.9.6 released

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 15:43:30 UTC 2016

sent from a phone

> Il giorno 10 giu 2016, alle ore 01:58, Minh Nguyen <minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us> ha scritto:
>

> * Currently, Wikidata has 1,775,365 items tagged as “human settlements”. [1]
> You’d expect to see these items tagged on place POIs, including cities and
> villages but also places that don’t have boundaries (like unincorporated
> places).

seems fine ("boundaries" meant as formally defined legal boundaries, because any settlement will likely have a boundary of some kind)

> * “Administrative territorial entity” is the superset of “human
> settlements”. This superset has 2,225,880 items. [2] You’d see these items
> on place POIs and boundary=administrative boundary relations.
>
> * “Human-geographic territorial entity” is the superset of “administrative
> territorial entity” that also includes cultural and purely political
> boundaries. That superset is less than 1% larger (2,245,631)

is this your interpretation or is it explicitly defined like this? I'm astonished that these 2 concepts are supposedly structured vertically and not horizontally in wikidata

> . [3] Something
> that’s a human-geographic territorial entity but not an administrative
> territorial entity probably shouldn’t be mapped in OSM in the first place.

I dissent, OSM is about humans observing their environment and mapping it. There's no requirement for administrative independence. Administrative territorial entities on the other hand are set up following different logics and rules, sometimes differing from the actual social-geographic reality.

> Rather than searching Wikidata, iD essentially only follows the explicit
> link from the user-specified Wikipedia article to its Wikidata item. The
> presence of this link indicates that Wikipedians currently consider the item
> to be synonymous.

the presence of the link does not indicate that they're seen as synonymous, but that it might be useful to look at it, and that there is some connection between the two, but that's not the same as synonymous

cheers,
Martin