[OSM-talk] MAPS.ME edits - partly sub-standard

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 17:30:17 UTC 2016

> I've suggested they have 3 name fields - name, name:en and a name:?? which
> is chosen by user in preferences (at install). They have acknowledged it
> but made no promises on how they will handle it.

I hope they are acting fast, I had 5 new mapsme users in the past 24 hours
and have seen a significant increase in new mappers in the past few weeks
(but didn't have the time to look at them yet). These are only the first
time mappers, not recurring ones (for which I do not get noticed).

Another common error is placing features like hotels in the middle of the
road, e.g.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4247555890

Between 2 buildings:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4247538389

A tourist attraction with only a russian name and not further description
what it is:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4247530407

(tourism=attraction, being more an attribute than an actual feature, should
likely be completely excluded from the maps.me presets)

Unconventional orthography in the names ("vaticansweethome casa vacanze"
and "chiara pujia", no protocoll in the website tag):
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4248541006

A jeweller's in the middle of the road (actually from internet research
this is not a jeweller's, it's a place where you can sell gold):
The name is one of a business (typically, mappers don't add stuff like
"limited" in the name tag, should go into operator IMHO).
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4246997289

These are just the past 24 hours, and only the first time edits...

Cheers,
Martin