[OSM-talk] MAPS.ME edits - partly sub-standard

Ilya Zverev ilya at zverev.info
Sun Jun 19 20:35:52 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

I'm very pleased some of us consider me the source of all evil that
comes from Russia. Although I must confess that I have nothing to do
with "World of Tanks" (haven't even played it), and the proposal about
water=* was accepted by 16 mappers, and if you have a problem with that,
then I agree that we should change our proposal process, but in all
these years nobody has even started.

As for the maps.me, I am glad that foreign names issue is basically the
only one that most people agree on. We are of course aware of it, and
either in the coming release, or the one after it, we will introduce a
multilanguage name editor. For now we are considering making the name
tag read-only (for existing objects), but we're still unsure. Alas,
nobody has offered any good solutions, besides "let the users edit all
tags like vespucci does" (and teach each of our million users OSM
tagging schemes).

Let me once more remind of a monitoring tool I did for maps.me edits:
http://py.osmz.ru/mmwatch/ I know there are a lot of changes, but as
Jóhannes wrote, we really need better QA tools, and my secret hope was
that the flood of maps.me edits not only would make people bitter, but
also would inspire somebody to come up with better tools.

Also, Simon, thanks for your opinion that maps.me has serious problems,
although it doesn't break any relations, so I don't know what other
problems could you mean.

IZ