[OSM-talk] MAPS.ME edits - partly sub-standard

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Mon Jun 20 12:48:13 UTC 2016

Maps.me editor has got the principal difference from other editors, - it
can be used without an active Internet connection. It means it is
possible now to map in wilderness, in mountains, while traveling without
worrying about roaming fees. Couple of years ago I used the Google maps
on smartphone for several minutes to find an address in Milan and paid
later an equivalent of 400 USD of roaming charges.

Facebook is completely internationalized. One can use Facebook in 113
(!) languages. Facebook users after signing into Maps.me Editor with
their Facebook credentials, probably, also expect a seamless exhaustive
internationalization, which is not the case for any world map yet at
all. But they may not know it and keep using one of those 113 languages
unsuspectingly for mapping too. We were already informed that Maps.me
will address this linguistic issue in future releases.

Best regards,
Oleksiy