[OSM-talk] MAPS.ME edits - partly sub-standard

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 09:44:19 UTC 2016

sent from a phone

> Il giorno 21 giu 2016, alle ore 11:12, joost schouppe <joost.schouppe at gmail.com> ha scritto:
>
> Some ideas:
>
> - maps.me should probably stick to simple-to-map objects when it adds data. Complicated stuff should go in a note.

and there should go some more  thought into the presets, which objects are possible to map, for instance I noticed that there is no preset for church or place of worship, while there is "temple" (at least in the Italian translation), but I guess nobody would add a church as temple in Europe (I can't check which tags this will set).

Also there should likely be synonymous terms (at least in the tag search), for example amenity=fuel gets translated to "stazione di rifornimento", but  (unlike our wiki) you don't find anything for the common term "benzinaio". Also the search in the app would gain from such a list, because currently I only get 2 hits for a search for "benzinaio" in Rome, one being a brownfield 500km from here.

The fewer possibilities people are offered for feature classes to choose from, the more likely they will choose something similar but not appropriate (e.g. I saw a place which buys precious metals like gold tagged as jeweller's store, but it clearly isn't). On the other hand if the list gets too long, it becomes unwieldy to find something appropriate, so likely there should be some multi level structured list, rather than the current, longish, flat list.

Additionally people should actively be encouraged not to choose a similar term but rather add a note so that someone using a fully featured editor can add it later.

> - if the maps.me data is old, any added object should be a note by default
> - maps.me should investigate why response is so low to changeset comments. Maybe OSM messages can be integrated in the app? Maybe added info should be Note by default until they have responded to a test message sent through the OSM messaging system. (though in my experience response to any OSM message is low, not just maps.me users)
> - maybe we should have a manual review system in place for ALL maps.me changesets, until someone marks the account as "experienced"

+1, these are all good suggestions.

cheers,
Martin