[OSM-talk] MAPS.ME edits - partly sub-standard

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Tue Jun 21 13:36:32 UTC 2016

> <mailto:andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk>>:
>
>     On 20 Jun 2016 5:31 pm, "Martin Koppenhoefer"
>     <dieterdreist at gmail.com <mailto:dieterdreist at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     > I have just discovered another type of problem:
>
>     > people adding full wikipedia urls into the website tag. In all
>     cases there was already a wikipedia tag present.
>
>     This is precisely the sort of thing a bot could clean up, daily or
>     weekly say.
>

> actually it is not that simple. As we haven't only 1 method, but, for
> good reason, several, to store references to wikipedia, this bot would
> have to check whether the linked full url in the website is already
> covered by the wikipedia interlanguage links or not. This is not
> impossible, but also not completely trivial. This bot should also
> check whether the previous version had a different website value and
> restore this in case it makes sense, or flag it for human review.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

I wrote a program http://ausleuchtung.ch/geo_wiki/ which allows to find
location of all Wikipedia articles either by coordinates in the articles
themselves, or by the OpenStreetMap tags (wikipedia, wikimedia_commons,
wikidata) in the radius of ten kilometers around a click.

It works for all language versions of Wikipedia, just change Wikipedia
language field from en to fr, de, it, ru, etc. A search by an OSM tag
may take 2 - 3 seconds.

So it is possible to check Wikipedia articles locations and OSM tags in
an area visually. I noticed and corrected quite of few Wikipedia
articles with wrong geographical coordinates with this tool. Probably
people, who posses encyclopedic knowledge and create articles, are not
always too good in cartography.

Best regards,

Oleksiy