[OSM-talk] iD news: v1.9.6 released

Andreas Labres list at lab.at
Wed Jun 22 08:26:59 UTC 2016

> Another issue I believe to have found in this item looking at
> https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q486972 :
> the first words, (I believe it is meant to be the definition, although it does
> not explicitly say so,) are "densely populated geographic location
>
>   * populated place
>   * settlement
>   * human community
>   * inhabited place"

ACK. This is a definition (in German) I'd agree with: Siedlungsformen: Art, Zahl
undräumlicheAnordnungmenschlicher Behausungen (kinds of settlement: kind, number
and areal arrangement of human dwellings).

Also a single farm (ein alleinstehender Einzelhof) is one kind of settlement
(and often has a name, BTW). And of the group settlements (Gruppensiedlungen:
Einschicht, Weiler, Rotte, Dorf, Markt und Stadt) there are different kinds,
some of which are explicitely *not* densely populated (Einschicht, Weiler,
Rotte). See http://www.aeiou.at/aeiou.encyclop.s/s567496.htm for kinds of
settlements (in German).

I'd define "settlement" just as: (group of) human dwellings.

And to me there also is a difference: a settlement's extent isn't defined per
se. It can be a group of houses and generally it is countable what houses belong
to that settlement. But this doesn't define what fields/land/acres are/is
included. In contrast, an "administrative territorial entity"
(Verwaltungseinheit) solely defines the land it includes (of course with all the
buildings on it).

/al