[OSM-talk] Failed water proposal reversal

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Wed Jun 22 09:30:51 UTC 2016

On 21/06/16 22:44, Greg Troxel wrote:
> I don't see any reason why this can't be
>
>   landuse=reservoir [entire parcel that has the reservoir on it, or the
>   region that has "water supply area - no trespassing" signs, etc.]]
>
>   water=reservoir [the water part]

That makes a lot more sense than ALSO adding natural=water to the water
area. If the area of water is covered we have man_made=reservoir_covered
and no 'water' element.
water treatment plant tagging is similarly erratic with waste having an
assortment of tags and clean water not. water=reservoir may well part of
a clean water supply and treatment site.

The problem is not that water has failed to gain traction, but rather
that the whole area is still a mess that can not easily be defined.
Nothing actually flows well?

Adding ...
landuse=wastewater_treatment
or
landuse=water_supply

wrapping

man_made=reservoir
man_made=reservoir_covered

But then we have currently landuse=basin and landuse=pond so dropping
the natural=water and rendering all water= as blue then the use of water
on it's own does make more sense?

JUST use
water=reservoir
water=basin
water=pond
man_made=reservoir_covered -> because water is not visible so may be
landcover=grass over the top?

But where there is navigation passing through the reservoir
waterway=lock and waterway=canal makes the water version of those
obsolete? There is no way 'water' will replace any of the waterway data
structure given all of the secondary tagging to
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:waterway%3Driver and the like.

But where lakes - natural and man-made - have navigation routes through
many of the waterway tags also apply but this has been another area of
discussion to map the actual routes across the water areas.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL