[OSM-talk] Opportunity for a new featured layer on osm.org

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Thu Jun 23 05:35:54 UTC 2016

W dniu 15.06.2016 21:25, Paul Norman napisał(a):
> With the MQ Open changes, there is an opportunity for a
> general-purpose map style to become a new featured layer on osm.org.
> The requirements for a new layer are at
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Featured_tile_layers/Guidelines_for_new_tile_layers
> [5]
>  The key ones are
>  - Supported by whomever is hosting the layer
>  - Global coverage
>  - Technically capable
>  - Up to date data

I've just learned about OSM2VectorTiles project
(http://osm2vectortiles.org/) and I'm interested if we could start using
these tiles as a new map layer on OSM website?

The whole planet.mbtiles file takes 50 GB and there are few nice styles
included. They also provide tools for generating vector tiles from PBF
files:

https://github.com/osm2vectortiles/osm2vectortiles

What I like about it is that we could explore a promising technology
(dynamic styling, including language switching, and moving rendering
process to the client side), and at the same time vector styles are
typically rather simple, which is nice when you don't like "crowded"
rendering or just want to have a background for some features. That
could be also, more or less, MapQuest Open replacement.

Is our technical infrastructure capable of serving or - even better -
also generating such tiles? Are there any other important issues to
address?

--
"Low, low, low..." [M. Kempa]