[OSM-talk] OsmAnd financially rewarding mappers

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 09:28:41 UTC 2016

On 03/03/16 11:17, Marc Gemis wrote:
> If I understand the discussion on [1] correctly OsmAnd will reward
> mappers with bitcoins. The bitcoins seem to be paid via a formula
> based on the number of changesets you upload.
>
> I think this is a bad idea, (just like Jack Burke illustrates with the
> Dilbert strips in the linked topic).
> What do you think about this ? How should we deal with this ?

http://osmand.net/osm_live#information seems to be the correct
information? Personally I would associate 'live' in relation to a
routing application to be live updates of traffic conditions, and I
could understand the monetising of that data, but this does not seem to
be addressing that particular problem at all?

As someone actively contributing currently, while an income from that
would be welcome, I don't think this third party activity is helpful to
OSM! In the first instance I have no intention of contributing to
bitcoin since I think it's main reason for existence is to hid scammers
and until that secrecy is removed ... I will not be signing up ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL