[OSM-talk] Mapathon In Sweden, Göteborg

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Mar 10 01:04:37 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 03/09/2016 11:46 AM, Daiva Marija Brazauskaitė wrote:
> my name is Daiva Brazauskaite, and I am working with student association
> called SKIP at University of Gothenburg (Göteborgs Universitet) in
> Sweden. Letting you know that we are planning to make a Mapathon on 29th
> of March. We are inviting students and people interested in learning
> mapping and using OpenStreetMap platform.

A very important pillar of OpenStreetMap is encouraging people to add
their first-hand knowledge to the world-wide pool. Some of the people
attending may come from remote places in the world where OSM lacks
detail, and they will be able to add interesting detail from memory,
perhaps aided by aerial imagery. But even those local to Göteborg could
contribute to OSM much closer to home - it seems to me that while
central Göteborg is well mapped, many smaller towns and villages around
it could benefit from someone adding detail like house numbers or POIs.

I know that many find the thought that they could help someone by
tracing data from aerial imagery appealing, even if they have no
personal relation to the area they see before them. But sometimes
grabbing a notepad and going somewhere - even if it's only a tram ride
away - to actually survey can also be a very fulfilling activity.

> We are going to choose one of
> the projects from HOT Tasking Manager lists and use OSM iD editor.

If you do limit your mapping to that, it would be great if you could
mention to attendees that what you're teaching them is just one of many
way to contribute to OSM, and especially that tracing from aerial
imagery in foreign countries is the exception, not the norm, in OSM.

Bye
Frederik