[OSM-talk] Guides to improve navigation data in OpenStreetMap

Abhishek Saikia saikia.abhiitc at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 09:35:19 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

The definition of a lane as per http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:lanes
is:

> The *lanes*=* key should be used to specify the total number of traffic
lanes <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanes> a road has which are available
to *motorised traffic* wider than a motor cycle.

For the guide, we are extending the same definition to turn:lanes. The wiki
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:turn:lanes makes no mention of how
to incorporate cycles and non motorized vehicle into this tag. These are
still open questions that should be discussed by the community.

Philip, if you have a particular example of how to tag turn lanes for
buses, we will incorporate it into the guide.

Do keep giving more feedback.

Regards,
Abhishek