[OSM-talk] Tagging Piers vs Docks

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Sat Mar 12 16:15:02 UTC 2016

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 6:01 AM, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:

> Actually in en_US, precise usage by those trained in nautical matters
> matches the international usage.  I'd call it incorrect usage to use
> dock for the pier, although overwhelmingly common.

Unfortunately those trained in nautical matters is quite small. Most are
like me, a dock is something you walk out on from the shore. In some parts
of the country the docks are removed in the winter others are there
permanently.

Not sure how we fix iD. Should searching for dock in US_en default to
man_made=pier and a search for drydock result in man_made=dock?

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us