[OSM-talk] [BOT] [RFC]: water surfaces

Frank Villaro-Dixon frank at villaro-dixon.eu
Tue Mar 22 13:10:06 UTC 2016

Hi everybody,

I launched a bot (FrankVD_bot) this week which didn't make everyone happy,
as it wasn't discussed with the community, which is quite normal. Here's
then the RFC for (let's call it) scorpion.

# Targets
The targeted zones are actually the multipolygons with natural=water on
them. Working box is all the planet.

# Why ?
Well, OSM has a quite exhaustive lakes/water surfaces database, but it's a
complete pain to work on because:
	* Some non closed ways have a natural=water or a water=* tag,
	which makes no sense and is forbidden.
	* Attributes (natural, water, name, intermittent) are in the
	relation and in the way itself, which is anti normal form (and not
logical).

# First goal:
First goal is quite simple. The idea is to work only on relations which
have a natural=water .  Then, it will:
	* Delete natural=water from all the ways if they are NOT closed or
	ring 0.
	* delete the corresponding water=x IF the relation has the same
	tag

# Possible bugs:
Some people thought that there was a bug as it was deleting water=* tags,
but in fact there is not as the tag is already carried by the relation, so
no need to have it there.

# Sources:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dwater
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:water

# Source code:
Source code (php + bash) is available either:
* via web interface: http://git.vi-di.fr/gitphp/?p=OSM_bot.git
* via git: git clone git://git.vi-di.fr/OSM_bot.git

# Future work
It would be great to then support more tags (like migrating boat,
intermittent, …) migrating to the relation, but I think that in order to
keep things clear, it should be made afterwards. Does that seem ok ?

So, what do you think ?

Technically, it was already run on the whole planet, and so far no bugs
were found. Now, I need your comments and/or your approval, critiques,
etc.
Tell me what you think ;-)

Thanks,

Cheers,

Frank

--
frank.villaro-dixon.eu       - PGP: 6F36914A
Envie d'électricité 100% verte ? Enercoop.fr