[OSM-talk] [BOT] [RFC]: water surfaces

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Tue Mar 22 14:23:44 UTC 2016

On 2016-03-22 14:10, Frank Villaro-Dixon wrote:

> # First goal:
> First goal is quite simple. The idea is to work only on relations
> which have a natural=water .  Then, it will:
> 	* Delete natural=water from all the ways if they are NOT closed or
> 	ring 0.

I have been fixing waterways and water areas in the New Orleans area. I
think most problems are due to a botched import. There are a number of
unclosed areas, some water, some wetland. They just need to be closed
which sometimes is just connecting the last two dots, sometimes it is
merging two ways.

It would be very unhelpful if the natural=water tags of these ways would
be deleted. Then you have to go search in the history to see what it
was. Is it natural=water or natural=wetland? It would increase the
workload in fixing this.

Please, do not do this. You can flag them as defective so that someone
has a look, but don't delete the tags.

Since deleting tags from unclosed ways does not solve anything (and IMHO
makes things worse), this should be done manually. It would be a perfect
case to enter in maproulette <http://maproulette.org/>

Regards,
Maarten