[OSM-talk] [BOT] [RFC]: water surfaces

Frank Villaro-Dixon frank at villaro-dixon.eu
Wed Mar 23 12:13:50 UTC 2016

On 16-03-22 17:25:37, malenki, wrote 2.1K characters saying:
>On Tue, 22 Mar 2016 15:12:42 +0100,
>Frank Villaro-Dixon wrote:
>> >Mappers frequently map things in ambiguous ways or change existing
>> >mapping in ways that make it ambiguous and it is hard to decide from
>> >the data alone how to interpret such mapping.  A bot will not be any
>> >better in doing that than a human mapper and you would destroy any
>> >chance of actually determining the original intent of the mapper with
>> >such edits.
>> Can you give me an example ?
>
>Example:
>Think of an MP where the way has – additionally to the tags you want to
>fix – intermittent=yes and the relation has not.
>
>Would your script really enhance the situation?
In that case, it wouldn't touch this tag.

>Does your script even take in consideration if the ways are inner or
>outer?
Yes, of course. It's in the code I provided.

>> This algorithm won't loose any information. It's merely deleting
>> duplicates, so where is the problem ?
>
>Where is the problem /not/ to fix this by script, then?
Huh ?

>Recently I was told by somebody: Deleting data is not a real deletion
>in OSM. It is just hiding that data.
I don't know how is data stored back office, but if it doesn't show any
more on the API query, that's good, no ?

>Subjective that may be true like your statement above – but it makes
>editing harder without adding any value.
>
>You already caused a lot of additional work (review of your edits and
>reverts) and time used for discussions.
>Why not stop replying mails here reflex-like and start to think about
>the problem? Again? With the new information you were given? And
>without trying to squeeze all the information in your scheme of thinking
>(or "problem solving").
Well, this fix was a simple fix, which I haven't found an error on still
(no, that's not bad faith; I sincerely still haven't found none). But
deleting redundant tags makes working on the data way more easier; which
is my goal.

>Thomas

frank.villaro-dixon.eu       - PGP: 6F36914A
Envie d'électricité 100% verte ? Enercoop.fr
What is a Velomobile ?   www.sans-essence.eu