[OSM-talk] [BOT] [RFC]: water surfaces

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 18:40:36 UTC 2016

On 23/03/2016, Frank Villaro-Dixon <frank at villaro-dixon.eu> wrote:
> Maybe it's an higher priority, but that doesn't interest me. If someone
> wants to, good for them.

Fair enough, we all have different priorities.

> Now, the lower priority 'redundant tag deleting'
> is still needed, and if it can be done automatically (nobody still hasn't
> given me a fuckup example), then why not ? It's still usefull if you want
> to extract all the lakes of the world, for example.

How do redundant tags prevent you from extracting all the lakes of the
world ? It should be harmless, you'll just have some objects that will
be selected by two different criterias. For better or worse, any OSM
consumer has to deal with some level of redundant data.

As for problems with your algorythm, people in this list _have_
pointed out potential problems, such as missing non-duplicated tags
that are on the way rather than on the relation (To properly fix that
you need a human eye. Fix the automatically-detectable part of the
problem only and you've just succeeded in making the other problems
harder to detect). There's no need to point at actual osm objects with
those issues that your script changed when the failure case are so
easy to come up with.