[OSM-talk] OT: How do you read OSM Emaillists?

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Fri May 20 13:28:45 UTC 2016

On 20/05/16 14:12, Hakuch wrote:
> Hey, Iam currently using thunderbird to manage my mailinglists (most of
> them are osm-lists). But Iam regularly peeved because thundebird lacks a
> lot of useful features. For example, when I mark a thread as ignored,
> new posts are still counted, even when there are no new mails for my
> visible threads.
>
> However, Iam interested what you use to read the osm mailing lists? I
> know nabble for example, but dont like it to use another tracking (?)
> service. Arent there better Email Clients than thunderbird?

I have to agree with some of your comments about thunderbird, and some
of the quirks introduced over time are a pain, but I currently manage
some 25Gb of email traffic going back 20 years and thunderbird is the
only client that does not complain as well as providing fast local searches.

What we do perhaps need is a more concerted effort to engage with
developers like he thunderbird team and explain why some choices do
cause problems. My own pet hate currently is I think related to your
'ignored thread'. If I have messages threaded, but hide some then the
'nice feature' that handles then as a group simply fails to display
properly ... but here is not the place to be complaining :)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL