[OSM-talk] ford=no for highways which are known to have no fords?

Richard ricoz.osm at gmail.com
Tue May 31 13:03:18 UTC 2016

Hi,

often enough I get messages from people saying that drawing a bridge
or culvert for every minor highway/waterway crossing causes more
trouble than use and I tend to agree.
Splitting the ways and applying a bunch of tags for every single
tunnel/bridge is work and has a non-zero chance to introduce some
errors for zero gain.

So I was wondering - if we know that a long segment of a highway
has no fords - could it be marked with ford=no? Or other similar
attribute?

For some classes of roads like freeways this could be also
declared to be the implicit default.

Richard