[OSM-talk] Which type of highways are used by routing software?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 00:49:13 UTC 2016

On 02-Nov-16 09:40 AM, john whelan wrote:
> Obviously if I select bicycle it won't use motorway or footway but in
> general which highway types are used?

Some motorways and footways are used by bicycles ... access can be
signified by the tag bicycle=yes.

> Highway=road is avoided by some as it is the original temporary
> highway type for a GPS track when you don't know if its a motorway or
> highway=footway with steps but what about highway=track?
>
> The question arises as there are a lot of highways in Africa that look
> quite major to me that are labelled highway=track and I wondered if
> they would be considered by routing software.  I am aware that each
> bit of software is different and yes I am aware of the African highway
> wiki here:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_Tag_Africa which has
> definite guidelines about what a track is but can we come up with what
> is used?

What is used? By routing software?

As OSM 'tracks' would not be considered by most routers your out of luck
there.
Bicycle routers and MTB routers are around .. certainly the MTB router
would consider 'tracks'.

OR

What is used to signify 'tracks'?
I think the wiki is very clear on several pages. If you consider an
entry in OSM is incorrectly tagged .. then

1) a polite way of asking about it is to make a comment on the first
changeset that included that tag.
2) change it and see who complains .. can raise your profile, have your
reasons lined up and include the basics on your changeset comments.