[OSM-talk] User group for mapping activities in Wikimedia

Susanna Ånäs susanna.anas at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 13:11:43 UTC 2016

Thank you for asking :)

Mapping is more and more prominently developed in Wikimedia with the Maps
project <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Maps>. The Kartographer extension
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Kartographer> brings the OSM maps
into Wikipedias, and uses the data stored in Wikidata.

Wikimaps has been a series of activities with historical mapping in
Wikimedia and it has produced georeferencing software
<http://warper.wmflabs.org/> for maps in Wikimedia Commons and other
activities. The goal has been to create an integrated workflow for
historical geodata using Wikimedia and OpenStreetMap technologies and by
these communities.

In this landscape people working with different projects and topics - more
content-oriented or technology-minded - could start coming together and
learning from each other. From this angle it makes sense to invite mappers,
especially those who already work with Wikimedia to join.

I hope this answers your question, and I hope to encourage many cross-overs
in mapping with OSM and Wikimedia projects!

Cheers
Susanna