[OSM-talk] Use policies update

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 11:42:15 UTC 2016

> Historically using CC by-SA for the tiles had a certain logic, as the data
> used that licence and while there was a cloud of uncertainty how that would
> apply to OSM data, you could reasonably argue that the tiles were a
> derivative and had to be licensed on the same terms.
>
> Post licence change that tight linkage has gone and the creator of a
> "Produced Work" has a large degree of freedom in how to license their work.
> It would, for example, be completely possible to take the CC0 licensed
> openstreetmap-carto style sheet and produce -exactly- the same tiles as the
> standard layer and license them differently.

I'm not sure it is like this. Just because the code to produce the work has
a CC0 license attached to it does not necessarily mean that the resulting
cartography is also free of rights. At least the copyright page at
http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright clearly has a different claim on it
(if deliberately or as result of oversight is not clear to me).

> Or are we claiming that we are actually licensing the design/look and feel
> of the standard tiles on CC by-SA terms (and by that have rights in any
> derivatives of that style) and you can't actually use openstreetmap-carto
> style sheet to produce a style that is visually similar to our standard
> style?

that's what we seem to do right now, yes.

Admittedly there is quite some probability that the current claim of
cc-by-sa 2.0 cartography is not because the creators of this work had been
requiring it (AFAIK originally Steve Chilton and his team, now Andy and all
the other contributors to the style), as they have expressed consent / will
to release the style in CC0.

What we actually might want to achieve with the cc-by-sa on the tiles is
that people who use tiles produced and distributed with our ressources will
have to credit OSM for this and should not be able to restrict the further
downstream distribution.

Cheers,
Martin