[OSM-talk] introducing localities in wikipedia

Michael Andersen osm at hjart.dk
Tue Nov 15 11:11:04 UTC 2016

Mandag den 14. november 2016 14:11:50 skrev RB:
> I just discovered the wikidata project and felt like contributing and
> adding wikidata tags to OSM objects. However, as I discovered that
> localities (such as Javerne <http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/421656183>)
> aren't mostly covered by wikipedia articles, I created a few. This led to
> all the 3 localities pages I had created being deleted by the wikipedia
> moderators.
>
> Is it like an official policy and if yes is it still worth to link
> localities to orphan wikidata objects?

I'd say it can still be worth it  linking to wikidata items that doesn't link
to any wikipedia articles and in fact I regularly do this (example:
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q27827666).

For me as an OSM editor one advantage of this is that if anything unfortunate
happens to the OSM counterpart (in my experience not entirely unlikely),
chances are that the wikidata item will still be around to help make it easy
to recreate it as well as remind you whenever you run a search for wikidata
items over the area in JOSM.