[OSM-talk] Map features page on wiki

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Sat Oct 1 12:36:58 UTC 2016

On 21.09.2016 01:33, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
> I added it to the infobox as osmcarto-rendering.
>
> It is currently only used in the supermarket page:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dsupermarket

Maybe I'm a bit late to the party, but I don't feel it's great to give
special treatment to Mapnik in the infobox, and there is not enough room
for presenting all the renderers there.

While placing the icon in the infobox is probably the easiest way to
make it available to Taginfo, we shouldn't forget that it also
determines how renderer support is presented on the tag pages. And in
that regard, I find it's a less than ideal solution.

Quite some time ago, someone suggested a "Rendering" section on tag
pages, with example images for all (or at least a wider selection of)
renderers supporting the feature. This wouldn't be limited to icons,
either, but would also work for area styles, for example. I would
clearly prefer a presentation along those lines, as it would represent
the diversity of OSM rendering in a way that a Mapnik icon does not.

Of course this leaves the issue how to implement something along these
lines while still allowing Taginfo to access the content. I don't
pretend I have a solution, but could this information be integrated into
the Taginfo projects JSON somehow? If I remember correctly, there is
already the possibility to add icon urls.