[OSM-talk] Map features page on wiki

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Thu Sep 1 05:25:01 UTC 2016

On Do, Sep 01, 2016 at 12:42:10 +0200, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
> We have currently a Map Features page on the wiki:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features
>
> The page also contains definitions for all features. We therefore
> store the definitions now in two places: in the map features tables
> and in the infoboxes on the pages themselves.
>
> Duplication of definitions seems not ideal to me. Even though a lot of
> people try to update this, there are still quite a lot differences
> between the definitions on the map feature pages and the definitions
> in the infoboxes.
>
> Do we want to keep the Map Features page? If yes, do we have technical
> means to keep the definitions synchronised? Could we perhaps generate
> it from Taginfo, or somehow include the definition from the Infobox on
> the Map Features page?

A solution using Taginfo has been available for about a year now, but
nobody took this up. (I guess because not many people know that this
exists, and I didn't have time to promote it really.)

See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Taginfo/Taglists . This "just"
needs some people going through every tag list in the wiki and replacing
it by the special syntax. The problem ist, as you say, the differing
descriptions and such, which need to be consolidated in the process.

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  jochen at remote.org  http://www.jochentopf.com/  +49-351-31778688