[OSM-talk] Working with lat and long simply

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Sat Sep 10 19:02:08 UTC 2016

On 10/09/16 20:46, john whelan wrote:

> I see to recall that Australia is on the move.  So it would seem that
> we should retain as much accuracy as possible then if we're a metre
> out it isn't quite so important.
>
> I think any generic addressing scheme is going to suffer from parts of
> the world moving though and it is a limitation we have to work with.
> From a practical point of view just grabbing a new address every
> decade would probably work fairly well.
>
> Cheerio John

I wish an address could be more stable than a decade, as it should be
used also in property documents. If it is 2 - 5 meters per century, then
it is still acceptable.

I wonder how "three words" services plan to deal with it? Recalculating
coordinates behind the scene? But in a century there will be probably no
these services, and no Internet as we know it. It is a lot of time. But
latitude and longitude will still exist. And it would be possible to
recalculate them taking into account the tectonic plates factual
movement to prove property rights.

Best regards,
Oleksiy