[OSM-talk] Filling in the gaps in the map with crowdsourcing techniques

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Mon Sep 26 06:20:52 UTC 2016

On 25.09.16 20:11, john whelan wrote:

> If we go back in time OSM started with people cycling round carrying a
> GPS tracker device and photographing street signs.
>
> Now we have other ways of collecting data and to be honest often it's
> a matter of ensuring what we have in the map is up to date.
>
> Imagery is fine as far as it goes but it falls down on details such as
> does this building have a cafe with WiFi available?
>
> HOT is one of the players here, they have volunteers mapping from
> imagery but having details added to the map from mappers on the ground
> makes the map richer and more useful to others as well as HOT and the
> NGOs.
>
> Locally I try to remember these sort of details and enter them in JOSM
> when I get home but what sort of other methods are there available?
>
> OSMand and POI editing springs to mind, JOSM on a tablet or laptop.  I
> don't think iD would work unless it was burning up data on a phone
> plan or in a WiFi area.
>
> Walking papers sounds interesting, but could we produce a custom map
> that shows just the highways and say buildings we'd like tagged?
>
> Vescuppi would work but again if we are to make of use the
> crowdsourcing techniques in some ways pioneered by HOT of maperthons
> and iD we need something simple and a way to focus in on those
> elements that we'd like extra tags on or need verifying because they
> are more than say five years old.  I'm thinking of cafes with WiFi here.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks John

Hi John,

It is possible to add a /wikipedia, wikimedia-commons, wikidata /[1] to
provide a reference to an article in Wikipedia, Wikimedia, or Wikidata
about the feature on the OSM map. Wikimedia accepts now HD video files
up to 5 GB, as it built a new data center.

So what we can do is to film a short documentary about a feature using
both aerial and ground footage, upload it to a respective Wikimedia
page, then add reference of a video a Wikidata and Wikipedia page, and
finally add /wikidata/ and legacy /wikipedia & wikimedia-commons /to the
OSM map. I provide some examples of such my videos [2]. If there is no
time to film and edit a video it could be just oblique low-altitude
aerial & ground images [3].

It could be not only a video about a building, but about an area, say a
lake [4].

It became much easier to film such videos as there are nowadays readily
available aerial and ground cameras with an active gimbal stabilization.
Besides weather forecasts also became more accurate, so it is possible
now to plan a filming expeditions in advance.

Having a aerial & ground footage of an object one can add
/building:levels/, /height/, /leaf_type/, /amenity=parking/, and other
information for the whole adjacent area.

We can expect that in future the resolution of aerial cameras will
became even higher. The same about an UAV range and reliability.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:wikipedia

[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi_fortress
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyon_Castle

[3] https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coll%C3%A8ge_Madame_de_Sta%C3%ABl