[OSM-talk] Strange location reading

John Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Tue Sep 27 19:51:42 UTC 2016

This past weekend, I made a long road trip. At one point, while in a
highway rest stop, I checked Google Maps to see how far I had come. To my
surprise, it showed me at a different rest stop, about 200 miles from my
actual location. I suspect that my phone couldn't get a good GPS reading,
and was relying on the WiFi ID from the rest area office. The other rest
area was probably using the same SSID.

I didn't think to launch OSMand for comparison, but I suspect it would have
given me the same bogus results, as the choice of whether to use WiFi, cell
tower, GPS, or a combination, to determine your location is set in the
system settings, not inside the mapping applications.

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com
drive out hate; only love can do that." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.