[OSM-talk] Multi Polygon problem - could someone take a look?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 00:05:36 UTC 2017

sent from a phone

> On 1 Apr 2017, at 23:22, Dave F <davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> I'm struggling to see how this isn't a fundamentally incorrect way for OSM/JOSM etc to interpret the data. If nodes are moved then ways are amended & should be listed as such to avoid confusion & "reverting good edits made by the mapper".

Every object (node, way, relation) has its own version count. This makes sense, so that only changes to this object create new versions. If you move nodes, they will change their version. Only nodes have coordinates. Nodes and relations don't, their exact geometry depends on the node coordinates of their members. As such it is perfectly correct how osm and josm are handling this: same members and order and same tags: no new version.

But I agree it would seem convenient to show the effects of those node movements on ways and relations in some way by looking at the node positions (i.e. the actual geometry), e.g. as an additional option.

cheers,
Martin