[OSM-talk] Looking for "primary language" map

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 08:38:43 UTC 2017

On 11/04/2017 00:55, James wrote:
> Also have you checked:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_official_languages_by_country_and_territory

A bit offtopic, but it's worth mentioning that that is exactly what it
says it is - a list of "oficial languages", not what language is
actually spoken in a place.  OSM's "on the ground rule" favours the
latter over the former.  The entry in that table isn't quite correct for
the country that I am most familiar with (the UK - it suggests that the
recognition of minority languages in NI is similar to e.g. Cornwall,
which ignores some of the terms of the Good Friday Agreement), so I'd
take it with a pinch of salt elsewhere too.

Best Regards,

Andy