[OSM-talk] Tagging and rendering of television masts

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Sat Apr 22 06:33:54 UTC 2017

On 22.04.17 00:56, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> the Sutton Coldfield (England) TV mast:
>
>     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutton_Coldfield_transmitting_station
>
> at:
>
>     http://www.opensntreetmap.org/?mlat=37.08321&mlon=-8.13643#map=17/37.0832/-8.1364
>
> is a significant landmark, visible for several miles, and illuminated
> at night. Yet it does not render. Is it missing a tag, or do we need
> to tweak the rendering rules?
>
> I became aware of this today, when I added a similar mast, at
> Vilamoura (Portugal):
>
>     http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=37.0830&mlon=-8.1364#map=17/37.0830/-8.1364
>
> For that, I included three support wires, and three anchor points -
> how should those be tagged?

Dear Andy,

It is possible to map it as: "man_made=mast", "height=190", etc., then
it will be rendered. See an example:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/409948785#map=17/46.45003/30.74254

A "mast" is in the JOSM list for "man_made" already.

The issue that "man_made=tower" is not rendered on the OSM map had been
raised already on the mailing lists. In my opinion, it is a significant
issue, in fact a disaster waiting to happen. There will be soon air-born
taxi in Dubai, Singapore, etc., and the extremely high communication
towers, the so-called aviation traffic obstacles
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_traffic_obstacle , are not rendered on
the OSM map at all.

On other maps say Maps.me map "man_made"=tower is rendered all right.

One could also add a "wikidata" tag to a mast or a tower. Almost all of
these high structures have got a Wikipedia article.

Best regards,

Oleksiy