[OSM-talk] Tagging and rendering of television masts

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Sun Apr 23 05:50:51 UTC 2017

> sent from a phone
>
>> On 22. Apr 2017, at 08:33, Oleksiy Muzalyev <oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch> wrote:
>>
>> In my opinion, it is a significant issue, in fact a disaster waiting to happen. There will be soon air-born taxi in Dubai, Singapore, etc., and the extremely high communication towers, the so-called aviation traffic obstacles https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_traffic_obstacle , are not rendered on the OSM map at all.
>
> which disaster do you expect to happen? Someone flying around in dense fog and using no other information than osm-carto?
>
> I agree it is a shortcoming that towers are not rendered on osm-carto, but we should keep calm and not exaggerate its significance.
>
> cheers,
> Martin

Dear Martin,

An air traffic obstacle, a tall structure which can endanger air
traffic, has to be marked with red and white colored markings and with
aircraft warning lights at night. If you look at these communication
towers this is how they are actually painted.

An airman say a pilot of a medicopter may well study terrain carefully
on a map before a flight. In fact it is not a flight as a bird flies,
but rather a jump as there is a time limit, an endurance. That is why a
planning is necessary.

Unfortunately on the OSM map he/she will not see any icon. At the same
time the air-traffic in urban areas will continue to increase. It is
future of urban mobility [1].

If a helicopter, an RPAS, a plane touches a mast or a cable it would
crash; a mast may collapse. For individuals involved it could certainly
be a disaster.

People do realize it. Andy not only mapped the communication tower (or
mast) but plans to map its cables. It is a good idea too. It will take
time to map all these towers (masts), measure and calculate their
height, etc.

Unfortunately the confusion between "man_made=tower" and "man_made=mast"
continues. One is rendered and one is not, and that adds to confusion.

[1]
http://www.airbusgroup.com/int/en/news-media/corporate-magazine/Forum-88/My-Kind-Of-Flyover.html

With best regards,

Oleksiy