[OSM-talk] Draft Trademark Policy

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Thu Aug 3 21:07:44 UTC 2017

Dear all

The LWG would like to start a period of public review and consultation
on our draft trademark policy, that we intend to bring forward to the
OSMF board for adoption as a formal policy, please see the text here:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Trademark_Policy#OpenStreetMap_Trademark_Policy

Given that there is likely going to be a lot of question, I expect that
we will run the review up to early next month.

A bit of background: in early 2013 Frederik Ramm and myself started work
on a proposal for a trademark policy for the OSMF based on discussions,
that, if I recall correctly, had taken place on this list in 2012. For
many reasons the draft back then became a victim of internal board
strife even though the actual contents and intent were not really
contested.  Fast forward to 2016, in the mean time the LWG had taken the
lead on the issue, but we simply had not got around to doing anything
about it. Luckily Luis Villa volunteered to take this on and produce a
document based on work he had done for other organisations, using our
original document more as a shopping list of the salient points for OSM.
I would like to thank Luis for taking the time and producing a document
that is light years better than what we amateurs produced.

The policy itself doesn't contain anything particularly exotic and you
will find similar rules in essentially any other such policy, but we did
try to keep community use of the trademarks as free as possible,  and
only try to outlaw clear misuse which is in the interest of the whole
OSM community.

Simon