[OSM-talk] Draft Trademark Policy

Matthijs Melissen info at matthijsmelissen.nl
Fri Aug 4 11:53:01 UTC 2017

On 3 August 2017 at 23:07, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:
> The LWG would like to start a period of public review and consultation on
> our draft trademark policy, that we intend to bring forward to the OSMF
> board for adoption as a formal policy, please see the text here:

The proposed policy would discourage people from using 'OpenStreetMap'
in their project names. To be honest, I don't think this policy is
going the right way.

This policy seems to protect against applications using OpenStreetMap
in the name without using OpenStreetMap data. I don't think that's a
serious problem, while the opposite 'problem' occurs quite often:
projects using OpenStreetMap data without making it clear that they
are doing so (except in some small attribution).

For example, I would much rather have that people would call their app
'OpenStreetMap.me' rather than 'Maps.me'. This policy seems to
discourage that.

-- Matthijs