[OSM-talk] Draft Trademark Policy

mmd mmd.osm at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 19:50:15 UTC 2017

Am 04.08.2017 um 19:07 schrieb Simon Poole:
> On 04.08.2017 18:07, Jochen Topf wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 04, 2017 at 04:37:23PM +0200, Simon Poole wrote:
>>

>> I think it is totally unrealistic to expect hobby projects based on OSM
>> to ask for permission. I see three likely outcomes:
> It obviously wasn't to complicated and required lawyers to register the
> domain names in the first place and as the FAQ says we are only asking
> for the domainnames to be de-registered or given to the OSMF when they
> are no longer used for OpenStreetMap related purposes.

[...]
> Sorry but that is hyperbole, after the 13 years of OSM the number of
> domains affected amounts to something between 30 and 40., not 100s. The
> policy is rather clear on what is allowed and what not, and if there are
> further questions we can address that in the FAQs.

let's try to be a bit more specific here. Going through the "List of
OSM-based services" [1], I would come up with the following list of
candidates, which to my understanding would be affected in one way or
another by this Trademark Policy.

4.1. Domain names

osmarks.org, osmmosques.org, searchosm.com, osmcamera.tk
toposm.com, osmapa.pl, maps.osm2world.org, www.osm-3d.org
www.osmbuildings.org, osmocoder.de, osmlanduse.org, www.flosm.de
OsmHydrant.org, ra.osmsurround.org

5.1. Mimicking OSM sites ???

openbmap.org, openeventmap.net, openpoimap.org, openseamap.org
opensciencemap.org, openstreetphoto.org, openstreetview.org
opentouchmap.orgm, openbusinessmap.org, openwhatevermap.org
opencyclemap.org, opensnowmap.org, openstationmap.org
openwlanmap.org, openptmap.org, opengastromap.de
openlinkmap.de, openfiremap.org

Imho, it would be quite helpful to have some (possibly real world)
examples as part of the FAQ, highlighting potential issues and how to
deal with them.

Also, I'm wondering if such a policy would need a severability clause as
well?

--

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/List_of_OSM-based_services