[OSM-talk] Draft Trademark Policy

Nicolás Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 04:51:08 UTC 2017

> This policy seems to protect against applications using OpenStreetMap
> in the name without using OpenStreetMap data. I don't think that's a
> serious problem, while the opposite 'problem' occurs quite often:
> projects using OpenStreetMap data without making it clear that they
> are doing so (except in some small attribution).
>
> For example, I would much rather have that people would call their app
> 'OpenStreetMap.me' rather than 'Maps.me'. This policy seems to
> discourage that.

That's actually a good example: would it have been okay if maps.me was
released as OpenStreetMap.me, we accepted it because it used only
OpenStreetMap data, and then it slowly started replacing some data
with other sources?

I personally wouldn't like something as official-sounding as
"OpenStreetMap.me" showing hotels in the wrong place where OSM has
them right, including subjective ratings and reviews for them, having
a prominent "get an Uber for this location" button, displaying ads
when tapping on POIs (I'm getting horoscopes right now), etc.

--
Nicolás