[OSM-talk] An import in New Zealand, assistance requested

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 23:10:56 UTC 2017

Before I ask for assistance, please note this: I've already brought
this up on osm-imports and got nowhere useful.

There are a number of users in NZ doing mass imports of building data
in Auckland (I estimate 500,000 buildings), while wilfully ignoring
community guidelines.

I have asked numerous times for those doing the imports to stop and
follow the notes on the imports page. There is no wiki page, no
discussion on osm-imports, only vague references to a tool called
linz2osm and responses of "Oh, I thought everything had been OK'd
already, we discussed it on a local (google groups) mailing list".
Sometimes they stop for a while and then restart some time later,
maybe hoping no-one will notice. I hear there are other imports too,
one of the importers offhand mentioned a mass import of waterways,
also with no wiki page, discussion or outside involvement.

I bring it up here, because nobody subscribed to osm-imports appears
willing to back up these requests, to say to the importers that they
should follow the guidelines. A number of the importers are subscribed
to the osm-imports and osm-talk lists, but are strangely quiet when I
mention this request to stop and do things with community involvement.

--
robin