[OSM-talk] An import in New Zealand, assistance requested

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 11:44:00 UTC 2017

>They have data for all of New Zealand
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_New_Zealand>'s roads,
released under a license which is compatible with that of OSM.

Has the Open Data license been cleared by the legal working group?

Fairly recently some data was imported from the City of Ottawa, Canada.  It
only took five years to resolve the Open Data licensing issues but they are
now resolved.  Note the City released the data under what they considered
to be an Open Data license around six years ago.  It's only recently that
they have amended their Open Data license and it took a fair chunk of work
to get it sorted out.  I understand Toronto's Open Data license which is
different is still under consideration.

>Isn't a local group good enough for local imports?

Interesting question that was debated in talk-ca.  The local group of
mappers had a number of meetings on the topic but they were physical
meetings over coffee.  Some mappers in the rest of Canada felt excluded.

I'd recommend you jump through the loops with such a major data import.
There have been problems in the past with the data quality of imports and
there have been issues with the licensing plus there are issues around
should any imports be accepted.  This view is held by many in countries
that have a high density of mappers per square kilometre and not so many in
countries with fewer mappers.

Cheerio John