[OSM-talk] Highway=trunk : harmonization between countries ?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sun Aug 20 02:00:28 UTC 2017

djakk djakk <djakk.djakk at gmail.com> writes:

> In England and Japan, trunk roads continue inside village boundaries.
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/52.2685/0.7700 ;
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/35.6261/139.1128
> Trunk is used as a super-primary class of roads.

Yes, but in the US, that's not what it means.  Trunk differs from
primary mostly in physical characteristics.

I don't really understand the UK/JP rules.

> I think it is better to try to harmonize between countries, and to use the
> English model all over the world than the one with the motor road sign. The
> latter model can still exist thanks to motorroad=yes.

We don't use the motorroad sign in the US.

So basically: please don't go adjusting roads in the US away from
established rough consensus because you think it ought to be different.