[OSM-talk] Highway=trunk : harmonization between countries ?

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Tue Aug 22 08:47:30 UTC 2017

On 21/08/17 21:09, djakk djakk wrote:
> Actualy, "highway=*" shuffles importance and characteristic of roads.
> May we add an "importance" key to roads ?

Having spent the last week using OSMAND to navigate around the
Welsh/Cheshire border area (UK ;) ), the 'importance' of roads is
something of a problem even where the 'classification' of roads exists.
Same problem in my own home area. OSMAND treats lower and unclassified
roads as much lower importance when in many cases they ARE the main
local route and this results in poor routing decisions! Importance can
depend on why you are using the road? Things like 'speed_limit' need to
be handled before adding another 'classification' tag?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL