[OSM-talk] Highway=trunk : harmonization between countries ?

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Tue Aug 22 10:55:57 UTC 2017

On 22/08/17 11:16, djakk djakk wrote:
> Lester, why the little "main road" was not tagged as a tertiary road ?

The 'minor' roads are 'both secondary and tertiary' ... one example used
to be the 'trunk' road A46 but is now 'secondary' B4632, so many of the
routers using OSM data use the 'new' A46 which results in a 10 mile
detour :( I was hitting the same problem in Wales! ... the main through
route A66 is just that and not designed for local journeys. Selecting
'shortest route' often hits the 'single track' roads one DOES want to
avoid ...

> I'm afraid that you can't use speed_limit : on small roads, the official
> speed_limit is not signed but follows the default one (90km/h in France
> even on a lanes=1.5 road !).

Single carriageway roads here are 60MPH out of town and 30MPH in town
but I'm not sure OSMAND actually understands that anyway applying 20MPH
limit to all secondary and tertiary roads? The routes I am talking about
are tertiary roads with 40 and 50MPH speed limit sections ... I do add
them in where I find them, but many were not showing in North Wales :(

But I see no way to harmonization world wide. Even for just 'trunk'. The
'rules' for a country or area need to cover the differences that apply
in that area? Just as the routing rules need to know France is Left Hand
and UK is Right ... with different default speed limits.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL