[OSM-talk] Highway=trunk : harmonization between countries ?

Richard ricoz.osm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 21:25:33 UTC 2017

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 10:00:07PM +0200, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> sent from a phone
>
> > On 22. Aug 2017, at 15:46, Richard <ricoz.osm at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > called differently, but this is it:
> > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:maxspeed:practical
>

> yes, but practical maxspeed depends a lot on your equipment and capabilities, and on other people driving in front of you, so this tag will probably not be very uniform around the globe. Also, some people are willing to risk a speeding ticket, others don't. With regard to the latter, the situation in Italy is particularly ridiculous: the authorities have to sign post speed controls ;-) i.e. speeding tickets are kind of rare.

maxspeed:practical should take dense account or traffic jams into
account as good as possible. So far I am not aware of any router
evaluating time based conditional restrictions but those could be
used to take rush hours somewhat into account.

maxspeed:practical should not have any values above the legal speed
limit.. and if it had routers should ignore such values anyway, at
least thats what I would expect from navigation software.
Many years ago something like this was encouraged in the ancient
proposal but it is no longer in the description.. if there is any
remaining doubt I would explicitly state it in the wiki.

Richard