[OSM-talk] Highway=trunk : harmonization between countries ?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Tue Aug 22 23:26:54 UTC 2017

djakk djakk <djakk.djakk at gmail.com> writes:

> Yes Martin, I meant "physical characteristics". In the US, a road is tagged
> "trunk" according to its physical characteristics, as Greg said previously
> in this thread.

That's true, but it's also the case that the roads that are (properly)
tagged trunk are also worthy of being tagged primary in importance to
start with, plus becuase of the faster nature of trunk tend to be even a
little more important.  So while choosing between primary/trunk is based
on physical characteristics, it's not really in conflict with the notion
of importance.  Basically you can view trunk as "primary with honors"
and not be too far off.