[OSM-talk] Highway=trunk : harmonization between countries ?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Tue Aug 22 23:42:16 UTC 2017

Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> writes:

> On 22 August 2017 14:46:33 BST, Richard <ricoz.osm at gmail.com> wrote:
>>On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 08:40:13AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>>
>>> Two points:
>>>
>>>   Speed limit does not describe the speeds that reasonably
>>responsible
>>>   real people actually drive on roads.  The UK/IE notion of 60 mph on
>>>   all roads out of village centers is one example.  Another is in the
>>US
>>>   where there are many roads signed 65 mph where traffic normally
>>moves
>>>   at 80 mph.  So, what I think OSM needs a few things:
>>>
>>>     - A) a "typical_speed" tag, to be used by routers instead of
>>>       speed_limit
>>
>>called differently, but this is it:
>>https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:maxspeed:practical
>>
> Isn"t that going to be rather subjective?

That's why I picked "typical" rather than "pracical" (not knowing about
:practical, until Richard pointed it out).

I don't see it as subjective.  You just measure the median speed of cars
that go by every our, and take the median of that, or something similar.
It's meant to represent what typically happens, absent terrible traffic
jams (which affect all the other roads).  And, if there's a value that's
meant to approximate the true, too hard-to-measure definition, and it's
close to correct, that's in many cases better than using maxspeed
(around me, anyway).  I don't really anticipate edit wars over this.