[OSM-talk] Highway=trunk : harmonization between countries ?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 11:33:03 UTC 2017

sent from a phone

> On 23. Aug 2017, at 11:54, djakk djakk <djakk.djakk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I think there are five keys to tag a road :
> 1) its importance in the network (super-primary, primary, secondary ...)
> 2) its administrative class (motorway, mottorrad)
> 3) its physical characteristics (example : no at-grade intersections)
> 4) the width of its lanes
> 5) its surface

not sure what you mean by "administrative class", but usually there aren't any problems deciding for the class "motorway" or the motorroad property (they are signed as such).

Not sure about the width of lanes (probably there is something in lane tagging).

You forgot many more tags that might be relevant for highway tagging, e.g. "width" (of the whole road), "lanes" (number of lanes), "lit", "oneway", access restrictions, tracktype for tracks, service for service roads, sidewalk as highway property, smoothness, maxspeed, maxheight, sac_scale, etc.
Not all of them should be set on every road of course.

cheers,
Martin