[OSM-talk] iD news: v2.4.0 released

Bryan Housel bryan at 7thposition.com
Sat Aug 26 13:25:54 UTC 2017

On Hashtags:
There was a email thread a while back that discussed this practice of filling the comment up with hashtags about mapping events.  A lot of people don’t like this, and would prefer to encourage mappers (especially newbies) to write good comments, and store information about the mapping event in a different changeset tag.

Mikel Maron and others captured the mail thread and also some actionable ideas on an issue for the OSM tasking manager:
https://github.com/hotosm/osm-tasking-manager2/issues/703 <https://github.com/hotosm/osm-tasking-manager2/issues/703>

That link above also has a demo of how the new hashtag field works, and links to other related issues.  I realize that not everyone is going to switch over to using a new field right away, so iD still supports having hashtags in comments, and will extract them into the new field automatically.

On changesets_count:
It does display the same number as is displayed on a user’s homepage, but that number is 0 before they have made any edits.  It is a count of “how many edits has the user made before this one that they are saving right now”.

And yes the number is not completely accurate, because people could just do things like open multiple browsers and try to save several edits at the same time.  But It’s good enough for rough analysis of how experienced a mapper was at the time when they made a particular edit.  It can help changeset analysis tools like OSMCha, or bots that watch for vandalism, or even just as a useful signal when looking at a changeset to see what a user did or when responding with a comment.  (Be nice to new users!)

Bryan